A LETTER FROM SMDC's FOUNDER
Thank you for your interest in the Single Mothers Discount Card (SMDCard). The SMDCard is a grass-roots company created to advance social justice, particularly to advance women's rights in the realm of the family. Simply put, the SMDCard is designed to help single moms and businesses partner up to help each other do better.
This is an idea I had soon after I became a single mother 14 years ago and I'm really excited to finally be able to launch it. Even before I had my daughter and quickly became a single mom, I had a growing concern for single mothers and their children. As a creative writing teacher in an inner-city public high school, I came to understand that the majority of my students were being raised by single mothers. Over 20 years of teaching, I have read thousands of written works from teenagers, many of which illustrate the personal struggles and risks that they, their siblings, and their single moms have faced.
All parents know how hard it is to raise children. Doing it alone adds in an additional set of challenges. And while there are certainly single fathers working hard to raise their children alone, the fact is that 80% of single-parent homes are headed by mothers. In addition, women are still working towards economic equality with men; the latest statistics show that women currently make approximately 18% less on average. These factors and more led me to start a business focused on giving single mothers and those that care about them a concrete way to achieve more financial equity.
There is a lot of work to do to make our legal, economic, and healthcare systems work better for single moms and the children they are raising. Rather than waiting for legislation or someone in power to help create more equity, we can make this change together in a way that works for everyone. I hope you will join the SMDCard and invite those in your networks to join as well. Together, we can do better.
Mindi Rose Englart
To help level the economic playing field for single mothers, one purchase at a time.
WHAT IS THE SMDCard?
Like a senior citizen or student discount, the single mothers discount was developed to support a subpopulation of society that is not at the height of its economic earning potential. The Single Mothers Discount Card (SMDCard) is also like the AAA card, because it gives membership discounts to participating businesses. Members join for free and receive discounts offered by participating businesses. Participating businesses profit by drawing in more new and repeat business. See our FAQs here.
ARTICLES OF INTEREST
- How companies can support single parents (Harvard Business Review)
- The enduring grip of the gender pay gap
- Child well-being in single-parent families
- Single Parenting and Today's Family American Psychological Association
- Men Fall Behind in College Enrollment. Women Still Play Catch-Up at Work
- Expert’s take: By undercounting single mothers, we underserve families
- The Advancing Equity Calculator
- How Many Women Worldwide Are Single Moms?
- Woman’s journey through homelessness, unemployment shows struggle single mothers face in pandemic
- U.S. has world’s highest rate of children living in single-parent households
- Women are paid less than men—and that hits harder in an economic crisis
- Single Mother Parenting and Adolescent Psychopathology
- Gender Differences in the Consequences of Divorce: A Study of Multiple Outcomes